Loving What You Do: A Remote Worker’s Guide to Fulfillment
The combination of being a remote worker and a parent can be both a blessing and a challenge. On one hand, you have the freedom to work wherever and whenever you want, but on the other hand, you are also responsible for managing your home and family life. It can be difficult to find a balance between the two. However, we know that you love what you do as a remote worker and as a parent! Sometimes life can be challenging, and you might lose sight of the “whys”. In honor of Valentine’s Day, we wanted to share some tips on how to re-discover why you love working remotely as a parent!
Tips for Finding Fulfillment as a Remote Worker
- Do What You Love: Find what you are good at and what you enjoy, and follow that passion!
- Take Breaks: Burnout is real and it is the number one killer of love for a job. Take breaks. Take vacations. Spend time with loved ones.
- Change It Up: Doing the same thing day and day out can create a monotonous routine that you come to despise. Change things up sometimes! Add a new client. Do your schedule in reverse. Treat yourself to a coffee from your favorite shop and start your day a little later.
- Try Something New: Changing your routine can be great, but if it’s still all the same things, you can get burnt out really fast. Challenge yourself to do one new thing per month! Maybe that’s a new project or something as simple as trying a different flavor of coffee.
- Remind Yourself of Your WHY: Ask yourself: why did you start doing this? What drew you to this line of work? Take some time to revisit what started that initial spark.
- Celebrate Your Wins: Even small wins should be celebrated! Pick one good thing that happened each day. This will help you to focus on the positive.
- Create a Community: Surround yourself with people that encourage you on your remote work journey! This can be family, friends, or an online community like our Facebook Group where you can network with like-minded people.
Tips for Finding Fulfillment as a Parent
- Take Time for You: Parenting can be demanding, and it’s easy to forget about our own needs when focusing on those of our children. Remember that taking time for yourself is essential for you to stay balanced and happy. Find time for a relaxing walk, a sunset moment of reflection, schedule time for your favorite activities or hobbies, even if it’s just for a few minutes each day.
- Make Time for Connection: Establishing strong, positive connections with your children is one of the most rewarding aspects of being a parent. Make sure you create opportunities to connect with your kids every day, whether it’s through play, conversation, reading, or other activities.
- Set Realistic Expectations: As a parent, you want the best for your children, but it’s important to remember that you won’t always be able to give them everything they want. Be realistic about what you can do and set achievable goals to help them reach their potential.
- Celebrate Small Wins: No matter how small the accomplishment, don’t forget to celebrate your children’s successes with them. It’s important to show them that you appreciate their efforts and celebrate the wins in life together.
- Let Go of Perfectionism: Perfectionism can lead to feelings of disappointment or frustration when things don’t go as planned. Try to practice acceptance and acknowledge that parenting is an imperfect process.
- Give Yourself Grace: Don’t be too hard on yourself if you make mistakes. We all make mistakes, and it’s important to forgive yourself and move on.
- Seek Support: Connecting with other parents can help you stay positive and motivated. Join a support group or find an online community where you can share experiences and offer support to other parents.
Spreading the Love
As you might have noticed, the tips provided above for remote work and parenting really mirror each other and go hand in hand. If you master one, you can definitely master the other! But remember, all things take time and there will be mistakes along the way. If you feel yourself losing your passion for either, take some time to figure out how you can recapture that again. As any parent can tell you, there will be days where you want to pull your hair out! But, there are also incredibly rewarding days that make it all worth it. The same can be said of remote work. Stay the course and show your work and family some love!
How do you keep your love for work and parenting going? Let us know so we can share your tips with our community!
Happy Valentine’s Day to everyone — thank you for being part of the HireMyMom family! We truly love all of you and are incredibly thankful that you are here with us. Spread some love today and let those special people in your life know just how much you mean to them.