Are you a bookkeeper with the heart of a teacher? Are you a detail-oriented learner and a good listener? Do you enjoy helping others? This role requires all of the above and more. We are a socially responsible, remote-first, life management company that provides services such as bookkeeping, copywriting, organizing, tech services, business structure consulting, and assistant services. We inspire trust with our clients, perform our work with care, and live life outside the box. We need an ambitious self-starter to join the team and help propel us to the next level.
OUR IDEAL ROCKSTAR
What You’ll Do
- Support external clients of the company as a bookkeeper for both personal and business accounts.
- Perform other job-related duties and responsibilities as assigned (e.g., paying bills, collecting customer payments, making requested purchases, etc.).
- Manage more specialized bookkeeping practices, such as inventory accounting for both purchased & manufactured items.
- Coordinate integration of various software platforms (e-commerce, inventory management, sales tax filings, etc) with the accounting platform.
- Guide awareness of financial priorities and initiate teachable moments during client interactions when you notice client is possibly confused or overwhelmed.
- This position is full-time. We’re looking for someone who will focus mainly on the company and its clients.
Who You Are
- Empathetic – You embody empathy and non-judgment for clients.
- Organized – You maintain organization with all tasks and files.
- Mathematical – You must love math. Not just be good at it. Love it.
- Methodical – You have a sharp eye for tiny details while also being efficient with your time. Tell us a story related to being meticulous or precise in your cover letter.
- Resourceful – You must utilize our company documentation to be successful. You must be an expert at “the google” for answers to random questions.
- Tech Savvy – You love tech and navigate it easily. Preference for a Mac person, but open to PC.
- Tech Curious – You get excited at the thought of learning new software.
- Confidential – You respect the confidentiality of all information, including personal client information.
- Thoughtful – You must be able to anticipate upcoming needs and listen to requirements.
- Action-oriented – You provide efficient follow-through when committing to deadlines.
- Committed – You are excited to hold a long-term position in a thriving company.
- Self-Motivated – You are responsible and will thrive in a virtual work environment.
- Curious – You have many skills and learn new ones quickly.
- Reliable – You deliver on what you’ve committed to.
- Creative – You are a problem solver.
- Sustainable – Wherever possible, you let the tenets of the triple bottom line (people, planet, and profits) guide your recommendations for Bacana and/or for clients
- Minimum Experience – 5 years of professional bookkeeping or comparable experience
How You Work
- Xero whiz – We are a 100% Xero company. You are skilled with this software. We can discuss certification if needed. Preference is given to certified bookkeepers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – You must love the intricacies of communication and how to format such communication so that it is easily readable and digestible by clients, with care given to highlighting key information or action items. You must love to properly design your formatting for reducing visual or numerical overwhelm for clients, toward a goal of supporting your clients’ confidence when it comes to understanding the numbers and making bookkeeping decisions.
- Strong listening skills – You pause to digest information and ask for clarification when needed. You are client-centered, meaning you are listening with emotional intelligence with an eye to serving the clients beyond just the bookkeeping, to also easing any financial knowledge stress you may sense from your clients.
- Data security knowledge – You are comfortable with requirements around data security (for example, not letting anyone else access your laptop on the same user account as you do your work, keeping all client data only in designated areas, not sending sensitive information by email). You have access to a reliable and private internet connection (using a VPN where necessary). We can discuss providing a separate work laptop if needed.
- Authorization to work in the United States – You are legally able to work in the US as a W-2 employee and have a US Social Security Number and a US address that can be used for payroll.
- Excellent referrals – Your past employers have delightful stories about you and your work ethic.
JOINING OUR TEAM
- Flexible work schedule
- Remote position – work from anywhere in the world
- 1% of sales is given to environmental organizations every year, and you will have a say in where the donations go
- A trial period of 2-3 months
- Full-time position
- Starting annual salary: $40,000
- In general, no requirements to complete work in set hours on a given time zone (i.e., nomads & location independent people are welcome as long as they bring a dedicated work ethic)
The Bacana Plan is a virtual* team that works in the areas of assistant services, bookkeeping, copywriting, organizing, tech services, and business structure consulting. We are a socially responsible company dedicated to inspiring trust, performing with care, sustaining our environment, and living life outside the box.
* There are limited on-site services available in New York City and Los Angeles.