We are seeking a seasoned Controller with start-up consulting experience to cover clients over June and July.
June 7th – June 30th a total of ~24 hours spread over these 3 weeks
July 7th – July 27th a total of ~80 hours spread over these 3 weeks
The work is completely remote though you do need to be available during business hours (9 AM-5 PM).
In this role, you will oversee the day-to-day and month-end close procedures for many clients at a time. As well as prepare financial packages and support client financing requests. Processes & procedures are already in place and the resources supporting you are trained and experienced in accordance with the expectations of each Client. You will be supported with clear and specified needs for each Client.
Opportunity exists for a full-time role with POMteam post the contract period.
POMteam is an outsourced Finance and Accounting solution that provides a unique experience, functioning as a fully developed internal team would, for a fraction of the cost. The team is built around the Founder’s depth of experience in the start-up space. For the cost of a single hire, we will provide you with experienced and tested CFOs, Controllers, FP&A resources, and Support Accountants. A fractional super-team that is experienced in start-ups, both private and public businesses, acquisitions and going public.
• Take lead on the client onboarding process, including conducting client needs assessment, developing action plans and leading client kick-oﬀ meetings
• Assess client current processes for eﬃciency and adequate controls and propose, document, and implement process improvements
• Identify and implement technology solutions to support the accounting function including payroll, inventory, other critical modules
• Work very closely with client C-Level management on financial and operational matters
• Advise and educate clients on accounting best practices
Nuts and Bolts
• Preparation of timely and accurate financial statements and forecasts for internal or investor use
• Preparation of other client-specific management reporting packages and Board packages
• Train and oversee POMteam staﬀ or in some case the Client’s internal team. Ensure the team is staying on track and meeting deadlines for day-to-day and monthly accounting tasks- AP, AR, Payroll, Month-End Close.
• Oversight and guidance on cash flow management
• Development of financial analyses and KPIs
• Lead or assist with the budgeting/forecasting process
• Support due diligence for client funding opportunities
• Manage cap table and oversee 409A valuations
• Preparation of financial and supporting documentation for tax filings required by the tax accountant
• Oversee other compliance such as business insurance and licensing
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field required
• 8+ years of relevant Controller level experience
• CPA and/or MBA is a plus
• Strong knowledge of US GAAP
• Experience working directly with business owners, principals, and C-Level management
• Demonstrated experience as a Controller or CFO, but not afraid to get your hands dirty in the “transactional” bookkeeping work when needed
• Proficiency in Excel as well as startup financial platforms such as Quickbooks Online, Bill.com, Expensify, Gusto, etc.
• Experience managing a team of direct reports
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability/desire to work with multiple clients in multiple industries and ability to handle shifting priorities
• You are curious
• New industries, ideas, and people inspire you
• You are always one step ahead of it
• You pride yourself on delivering your best
• You may have been called a know-it-all as a kid
• The glass is always half full
• You believe that there is solution to every problem
• You are confident
• You manage various leadership and communication styles well